Despite economic downturn in recent years, Argentina is definitely showing signs of a comeback. After one of the deepest recessions in the country’s history, Argentina has rebounded with two consecutive quarters of growth. Its GDP is up 1.2 percent from a quarter ago and 2.9 percent from a year ago.
According to the extensive data tabulated by Global Health Intelligence (GHI), one major area of growth is in the medical device and equipment market. Argentina is certainly a growth market for medical equipment and devices, and the numbers are beginning to reflect this. Here’s a closer look at how Argentina’s medical equipment and device market is surging in 2017.
Imported Medical Equipment Value into Argentina for 2017
GHI projects that in 2017 the total value of medical equipment and devices imported into Argentina will be more than US$900 million, a 10% increase compared to 2016, when the value of medical equipment imported into Argentina actually went down by 15%.
In fact, 2017 snaps a downward trend in the value of medical equipment imported into Argentina: the country actually showed strong growth in this area in 2015, at 20 percent, but then faced a steep downturn in 2016…though clearly we’re seeing a strong uptick in 2017.
Quantities of Imported Medical Equipment into Argentina for 2017
According to import numbers analyzed by GHI, in 2017 Argentina is forecast to import more than 1 billion units of medical equipment and devices. On the surface, it may seem like a high figure, but this is because it factors in not only capital equipment like MRI machines and CT scanners but also smaller pieces like syringes, stents, parts and other smaller instruments that are ordered in mass quantities.
Hot Growth Areas with Argentina’s Medical Device/Equipment Market in 2017
Based on GHI’s analysis of 2017 numbers regarding imports, among the growth areas with strong sales potential in Argentina are:
- source url Other breathing appliances: a forecast growth of see 268% in quantities imported
- follow link Electrocardiographs, scintigraphic equipment, syringes and related equipment: 17% forecast growth in value imported and 7% forecast growth in quantities imported
- Orthopedics, heart valves, pacemakers, artificial joints, etc.: 13% forecast growth in import value
- Massage equipment, ozone therapy equipment, oxygen therapy equipment and other therapeutic respiration equipment: 9% forecast growth in value of imports and 1% forecast growth in quantities imported
- Machines and appliances for testing metals, other machines and appliances: a 13% forecast growth in import value
NEED HELP WITH A PROJECT?
Outpacing the Region
But perhaps the best news for Argentina is how it stacks up against the rest of Latin America. GHI forecasts a 5% overall decrease in the imports of medical devices and equipment Latin America in 2017 with just a 1% overall increase in quantities imported. Argentina, on the other hand, is projected to post 10% growth in value of medical equipment/devices imported and 7% growth in quantities imported.
Taking Advantage of the Growth
Contact us to find out more about how our market intelligence services can help you take advantage of the growth in Argentina’s medical devices and equipment market.